We are a group of Christians committed to living to the glory of God in the heart of Toronto. We have a passionate desire to tell others the good news of God's forgiveness of sin through the sacrifice of his Son, Jesus Christ. We began as a church plant of Grace Fellowship Church in 2009, and are now an independent member of the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches.
Sunday Service Times & Protocols
- Time: 10:30am
- Upon arrival, you will be asked to affirm you can pass COVID-19 screening questions.
- Wearing a face covering is mandatory for adults and older children while indoors at 918 Bathurst (if you have an exemption, please let us know at the sign-in table).
- Our service capacity is 80 people (to allow for physical distancing under Ontario's Step 3 reopening rules). We normally have about 50 people on a Sunday, so we don't expect having to turn anyone away.
- Seating in the sanctuary allows for physical distancing between households.
- We will be singing 4-5 songs during our service, with masks on.
- We ask that you remain in your seat as much as possible before the service. The time for more "free fellowship" (while maintaining physical distancing) is after the service. This allows people more hesitant about socializing at this stage of the pandemic to feel welcome.
- All formal childcare has been suspended due to the pandemic. However, there are two separate rooms parents can access next to the sanctuary if your child needs some space to get some wiggles out. We ask that you provide your own toys & toiletries at this time.
When we return to post-pandemic normal, childcare will look like this:
During our corporate worship service, there are options available for children 5 and under. Children over 5 are invited to join us in the main service (there are colouring books and "Action Bibles" available, if desired).
When you arrive with your child, please sign them in at the kids' sign in table, which is right outside the main auditorium. Parents will receive a tag with code that matches a code on a sticker worn by their child.
All the children begin the morning in the main service. Immediately before the sermon begins, the children will be formally dismissed to their programs.
For kids aged 2-and-a-half to 5, we run a teaching program called Hide N' Seek Kids in a basement classroom. For curriculum details, click here.
For kids under 2-and-half, parents are able to make use of a room beside the main auditorium. This is not a fully-equipped nursery, but geared more toward young toddlers.
Immediately after the sermon, parents are asked to go to the appropriate classroom to pick up their child. To sign out your child, simply hand your tag to one of our volunteers. You can then return to the main auditorium with your child for the closing song and benediction.
Throughout the morning, we also have a separate, private nursing mother's room available off the back of the auditorium for mother's and young babies. Mothers are also welcome to nurse in the main auditorium if they are comfortable.
What to Expect
New City's corporate worship services are a blend of casual and formal, contemporary and traditional. The music we sing to God and to each other spans all of church history, including songs written today.
Our services typically last 80 minutes. Included in the service is a time of welcome and weekly announcements. This is followed by worship through song, prayer and reading the bible together. The center of our worship is the sermon, which is based upon a text taken from the bible and preached expositionally. After the service there is a time to enjoy one another's company over coffee and light refreshments.
It is our desire to not only worship God through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, but to foster an environment where critical questions are freely asked and where people promoting worldviews contrary to the teaching of the bible are tolerated with love and patience--although at New City, we worship the God of the bible. Wherever you are on your journey of faith--even if you are very skeptical--we would love to have you with us. That is why we are here.