The Day of Atonement: Ineffectual and Temporary
Passage: Leviticus 16:1-34
Main Idea: The only way of access into the presence of the Lord is by the application of the atoning blood on the “atonement cover” and the removal of the sins of God’s people by placing them on a scapegoat.*
Point # 1 God permits access into his presence only through his provision of atonement (16:1–5)
· Entering God’s presence cannot be taken lightly (16:1–2)
· God prescribes the preparation for entering his presence (16:3–5)
Point # 2 God provides access into his presence by the sprinkling of blood on the atonement cover and by the complete removal of sin (16:6–28)
A. Access to God requires full atonement (16:6–10)
B. God prescribes the ritual of the atonement (16:11–28)
· Purification of the sanctuary by blood (16:11–19).
· Purification of the people through removal of the scapegoat (16:20–22).
· The sacrifice of the burnt offerings and the cleansing of the participants (16:23–28).
Point # 3 The people rest from their work (29-34)
More in Leviticus
November 10, 2013"Blood and Faith"
November 3, 2013Clean/Defiled
August 4, 2013Delighting in Leviticus: Instructions for the Priests