Jesus: The Eschatological High Priest of an Eschatological Covenant
Passage: Hebrews 8
Point # 1 Continuity and discontinuity (review)
Point # 2: Rejoice, Christian! Jesus’ eschatological priesthood is better than that of the Levites because. . . .
1. Jesus sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven; Christ’s work of redemption is complete (1).
2. Jesus serves in the heavenly sanctuary - the true tabernacle set up by the Lord - of which Moses’ tabernacle was merely a shadowy copy, set up by a human being (2; 4-5)
3. Jesus offered a better sacrifice: one that takes care of sin (3)
Point # 3 (6-12) Rejoice, Christian! The New Covenant is better because it’s built on better promises that address the deficits of the Old: such as
· a willing obedience springing from God’s laws written on the heart
· intimate, unmediated fellowship with God
· the ultimate removal of sin.
Point # 4 (13) Rejoice, Christian! God’s eschatological covenant has been inaugurated, the Old is now obsolete!
More in Hebrews
March 16, 2014Living a Faithful Life of Gratitude and Godly Fear (Part II)
March 9, 2014Living a Faithful Life of Gratitude and Godly Fear (Part I)
March 2, 2014The Already-Here-Not-Yet-Come Unshakable Kingdom of God