The Word of Christmas
Passage: John 1:1–:18
Point # 1 The Word: God’s self-expression (1:1)
· “In the beginning was the WORD” – God’s own self-expression – “and the Word was WITH God” - the Word is God’s own fellow – “and the Word WAS God” – the Word is God’s own self.”
· “God's “word” in the Old Testament is his powerful self-disclosure in creation, revelation and deliverance, and the personification of that term makes it appropriate for John to apply it to Jesus, God’s ultimate self-disclosure.” (Carson)
Point # 2 What John says about the Word (2-13)
· the Word creates us (3).
· the Word gives us light and life (4-8).
· the Word confronts and divides us (9-13)
Point # 3 The Word becomes flesh (14-18)
What is the significance of the truth that the Eternal Word became a human being?
1. taberbacle and temple
3. grace and truth (love and faithfulness)
4. grace and law
5. seeing God *
*This outline is a modification of one by D.A. Carson
More in Christmas
December 23, 2018Born Again/Born From Above (The Christmas Story: Part II)
December 16, 2018The Satanic, Anarchistic, Autonomous, De-Godding Revolution (The Christmas Story: Part I)
December 24, 2017Christ Came into the World to Save Sinners- of Whom I Am the Worst