God Disciplines His Children
February 23, 2014 Speaker: Series: Hebrews
Passage: Hebrews 12:4–17
Point # 1 Christian, don’t think something strange is happening when you face suffering in this life. Remember the encouraging teaching of scripture: God lovingly disciplines his children (4-6).
- In your efforts to combat forces of hostile opposition in this world you have not yet shed your blood (4).
- Remember the scriptures and be encouraged: the Lord disciplines and chastens everyone he accepts as a child (5-6).
Point # 2 Christian, endure and submit to the Lord’s discipline because we know what it produces in us (7-11).
- The necessity of parental discipline (7-8).
- The right response to it (9)..
- The benefits of nurture through divine discipline (10-11).
Point #3 A call to Christian action in the face of suffering - individually, and as a church (12-17).
- Renew your commitment to finish the race (12-13).
- See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God: our call to holiness is motivated by the prospect of seeing the Lord (14).
- Allow no bitter root grow up (15)
- See to it that no one is apostate or irreligious like Esau (16)
- After apostasy, no second repentance is possible (17)
More in Hebrews
March 16, 2014Living a Faithful Life of Gratitude and Godly Fear (Part II)
March 9, 2014Living a Faithful Life of Gratitude and Godly Fear (Part I)
March 2, 2014The Already-Here-Not-Yet-Come Unshakable Kingdom of God