Flee Sexual Immorality; Glorify God with your Body (Part II)
May 25, 2014 Speaker: John Bell Series: Flee Sexual Immorality, Glorify God With Your Body
Passage: 1 Corinthians 6:15–:20
The Assumed Understanding: as those who belong to Jesus by redemptive purchase, Christians live out their earthly existence in union with the resurrected Christ, indwelt by the Holy Spirit, to the glory of God . . . and in anticipation of the bodily resurrection.
Point # 1 (12-14) Brothers and sisters, understand your Christian freedom – and keep that freedom in balance with the Lordship of the risen Christ over your physical body, which one-day will be resurrected.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ underscores the sanctity and future of the believer’s body. In going to prostitutes, the Corinthian Christians are renouncing the lordship of Christ over their bodies and denying their resurrection life to come.
Point # 2 (15-20) Brothers and sisters, glorify God with your body and flee from sexual immorality
- . . .because our bodies are members of Christ himself. Sexual intercourse with a prostitute, therefore, unites the members of Christ with that prostitute (15).
- . . .because he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body. “The two will become one flesh” (16).
- . . .because whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit (17).
- . . .because all other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body (18).
- . . .because your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God. You are not your own (19).
- . . .because you were bought at a price (20).
More in Flee Sexual Immorality, Glorify God With Your Body
July 27, 2014Idolatry: The Root and Essence of Sin
July 6, 2014I Also Want the Woman to Dress Modestly
June 22, 2014It is Good For Some Christians to Remain Unmarried