Idolatry: The Root and Essence of Sin
July 27, 2014 Speaker: John Bell Series: Flee Sexual Immorality, Glorify God With Your Body
Passage: Romans 1:24–:32
Point # 1 Humanity’s rejection of the revelation of God in nature (1:18-23)
· Every person is being judged by God’s wrath
· Every person knows about God
· Every person turns away from God
· Every person is “without excuse”: God is fair to judge that person with his wrath.
Point # 2 The divine reaction to humanity’s universal rejection of God’s revelation in nature: God “gives them over” (1:24-32)
· Vv. 21–24: People “exchange” the glory of God for idols—God “gives them over” in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
· Vv. 25–27: People “exchange” the truth of God for a lie and worship and serve created things rather than the Creator —God “gives them over” to unnatural sexual lusts, unnatural burning desire, thus receiving in themselves the just penalty of their error.
· Vv. 28–31: 28 People do not think it “worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God” - God “gives them over” to a depraved mind and societal sins of inhumanity against one another.
32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
More in Flee Sexual Immorality, Glorify God With Your Body
July 6, 2014I Also Want the Woman to Dress Modestly
June 22, 2014It is Good For Some Christians to Remain Unmarried
June 15, 2014Bloom Where You Are Planted