Who Is This Child, Jesus?
Passage: Luke 2:21–2:35
“Who Is This Child, Jesus?”
Main Point: We cannot understand the eternal importance of Jesus’ birth unless we first understand who Jesus is, and what his coming into the world effects and accomplishes in God’s sovereignly controlled, historical plan of salvation.
The positive: be encouraged, sinner!
1. Jesus is the Lord’s Messiah (verse 27).
2. Jesus is God’s salvation, which God prepared in the sight of all nations (verses 30-31).
3. Jesus is the light of divine revelation to the Gentiles (verse 32).
4. Jesus is the glory of God’s Old Covenant people, Israel (verse 32).
The negative: be warned, sinner!
5. Jesus is destined (by God’s eternal, sovereign purposes) to cause the falling and rising of many - in Israel, and in all world (verse 34).
6. Jesus is a sign that will be spoken against - in Israel, and in all the world (verse 34).
Jesus will reveal the thoughts of many hearts - in Israel, and in all the world (verse 35).
More in Acts
July 4, 2021The Olive Tree: The Pattern of God’s Saving Plan for all People
June 20, 2021God’s Sovereign Salvation Plan for Jews and Gentiles: Past, Present, and Future
June 6, 2021Israel's Unbelief in Christ