Know Christ, Win the Prize
Passage: Colossians 3:10–3:16
Big Picture: Emulate those Christians who, like Paul, are continuing to grow spiritually through an ever-increasing knowledge of Christ - not those who are stagnating (3:10-16)
Point #1 New City, pursue the prize . . . through knowing Christ (10-11)
What is the prize?
· The culmination of the whole work of salvation – everything God accomplished in the death and resurrection of Jesus - with all its implications.
How do we “know” Christ?
· Through the power of Jesus’ resurrection
· Through participation in Jesus’ sufferings
· Becoming like Jesus in his death . . . and thus attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
“Knowing Christ” is what sustains us during “the race of faith.”
Point # 2 New City, refuse to stand on past spiritual triumphs. Never be satisfied with yesterday’s grace. Instead, like Paul, eagerly strain forward to the glories to come (12-14).
· Press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of you – i.e. union with him, and a righteousness that comes from God.
Point # 3 New City, emulate mature Christians who, like Paul, are continuing to grow spiritually, not those who are stagnating (15-16)
· Don’t go back: live up to what we have already attained. It should be a shocking thing to admit we have grown little in our knowledge of Jesus Christ!