Idolatry is the Root and Essence of Sin
Passage: Romans 1:24–1:32
“Idolatry is the Root and Essence of Sin”
Point # 1 Humanity’s universal rejection of the revelation of God in nature (1:18-23)
The Bible teaches . . .
· every person is being judged by God’s wrath
· every person knows about God
· every person turns away from God
· every person is “without excuse”
· God is fair to judge every person with his wrath.
Point # 2 The divine reaction to humanity’s universal rejection of God’s revelation in nature: God “gives them over” (1:24-32)
· Vv. 21–24: People “exchange” the glory of God for idols—God “gives them over” in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
· Vv. 25–27: People “exchange” the truth of God for a lie and worship and serve created things rather than the Creator —God “gives them over” to unnatural sexual lusts, unnatural burning desire, thus receiving in themselves the just penalty of their error.
· Vv. 28–31: People do not think it “worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God” - God “gives them over” to a depraved mind and societal sins of inhumanity against one another.
32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
More in Romans
August 21, 2016More Than Conquerors
August 7, 2016What Does it Mean to be a New Covenant Christian (Pt.2)
July 10, 2016Slaves to Righteousness