Justification and the Righteousness of God
May 15, 2016 Speaker: Series: Romans
Passage: Romans 3:21–3:26
“Justification and the Righteousness of God”
Point # 1 The righteousness of God has been revealed, and it relates to the OT (21).
Point # 2 The righteousness of God is universally available, without ethnic distinction, through the means of faith (22–23).
Point # 3 The righteousness of God is free and expensive, through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus (24).
Point # 4 The righteous God presented Jesus as a “sacrifice of atonement” – a sacrifice which is both expiatory and propitiatory - to be received by faith (25-26)
· The atonement not only provides for the justification of sinners but also demonstrates the “just-ness” of God throughout the process!
Therefore, Christian . . .
· Praise God that his righteousness has now been revealed apart from the law-covenant!
· Praise God that his righteousness is universally available without ethnic distinction!
· Praise God that his righteousness is an expensive gift from God to us!
· Praise God that he presented Jesus as a sacrifice of atonement and that he is righteous even in declaring that sinful believers are righteous!
* This sermon owes much to D.J. Moo’s commentary, Romans (2000).
More in Romans
August 21, 2016More Than Conquerors
August 7, 2016What Does it Mean to be a New Covenant Christian (Pt.2)
July 10, 2016Slaves to Righteousness