In the Garden (part 2)
Passage: Genesis 1:28–2:25
In the Garden (part II)
Definition of Biblical Headship: In the partnership of two spiritually equal human beings, man and woman, man bears the primary responsibility to lead the partnership in a God glorifying direction. In other words, it is the man’s responsibility to see that the partnership serves the purposes of God, not the sinful desires of either member of the partnership.
Point # 1: Adam and Eve were commissioned by God to be fruitful and increase in number. They were to fill the earth, subdue the earth, and rule over all the earth (1:28), which means they were to extend the geographical boundaries of the garden sanctuary, until Eden covered the whole earth . . .and with it, God’s special revelatory presence.
One of God’s goals in creation was to magnify his glory throughout the whole earth by the means of his faithful image bearers inhabiting the entire world.
Tracing out God’s special revelatory presence
• The Garden of Eden.
• The pillar of fire/cloud in the wilderness wanderings.
• The shekina (inhabiting, dwelling) glory in the tabernacle’s Holy of Holies
• The shekina glory in Solomon’s temple (Holy of Holies)
• Jesus (John 1:14; 2:21-22)
• The Holy Spirit indwelling his people. The church is the new temple – a last times, eschatological temple (1 Peter 2:5; Eph. 2:19-22; 2 Cor. 6:16)
• The New Heaven and New Earth, the New Jerusalem (Rev. 21)
Point # 2: Eve was created by God for Adam, to be Adam’s helper.
More in Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
May 5, 2019Parenting: Desires in Conflict
April 28, 2019Parental Discipline: Training Our Children For Their Good
June 4, 2017Parenting: Desires in Conflict