Women in the Church (part IV) - Widows
December 11, 2016 Speaker: Series: Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
Passage: 1 Timothy 5:3–16
Women in the Church (part IV)
1 Timothy 5:3-16
Big Picture: In this passage we’re given three reasons why caring for one's parents and grandparents (or anyone in our family who is “helpless”) is essential to all who profess faith in Jesus.
· Such an action is pleasing to God.
· Not to care for one's relatives denies the faith and makes one worse than an unbeliever
· That the church might not be burdened.
For a widowed member of the church to be supported financially by the local congregation, the following prerequisites must be met:
· She must be truly alone, with no family to support her (5,16)
· She is over sixty - an age when remarriage would be unlikely (9)
· She is godly (5,9-10)
· She puts her hope in God (5)
· She continues night and day to pray (5)
· She has been faithful to her husband (9)
· She is well known for her good deeds (10)
· She has brought up children (orphans?) (10)
· She has shown hospitality (10)
· She has washed the feet of the Lord’s people (10)
· She has helped those in trouble (10)
· She has devoted herself to all kinds of good deeds (10)
Point # 1 The church should give proper recognition (honour) to widows who are really in need (3), but those widows with family should be cared for by their families (4).
Point # 2 The widow “who is really in need” is alone, has set her hope on God and continues in prayer (5), but those widows living in self-indulgent pleasure are already dead (6).
Point # 3 Timothy is to command these things in the church (7), but if someone does not listen they have denied the faith and are worse than unbelievers (8).
Point # 4 The Church must let older, godly women be enrolled (9-10), but refuse to enroll younger, ungodly widows who are likely to abandon their pledge (11-13).
Point # 5 To sum up, the younger widows should remarry (14-15), those who have families should receive support from them (16a), and the church should care for those widows who are truly in need (16b)
More in Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
May 5, 2019Parenting: Desires in Conflict
April 28, 2019Parental Discipline: Training Our Children For Their Good
June 4, 2017Parenting: Desires in Conflict