A Call to Mature Christian Manhood
January 22, 2017 Speaker: Series: Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
Passage: 1 Timothy 3:1–3:7
“A Call to Mature Christian Manhood”
1 Timothy 3:1-7
The Big Picture: The chief characteristic of the Christian pastor, the Christian elder, the Christian overseer is that his life constantly reflects the Christian virtues that are mandated of all Christians.
1) What a biblical elder is not
· an older Christian
· a successful businessman
· a likable guy
· a woman
2) What is a biblical elder?
That question can be answered first in terms of the office and second in terms of the man.
· The office of elder is an office designed for the leadership of the church through the teaching of the Word.
· The character of the man who qualifies to fulfill that office is described in 1Tim 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
· “An elder is simply a man of exemplary, Christ-like character who is able to lead God’s people by teaching them God’s Word in a way that profits them spiritually.” (Mark Dever and Paul Alexander, “The Deliberate Church”)
3) The character of the man who qualifies to fill the office of overseer 1 Tim. 3:1-7
· above reproach (blameless)
· faithful to his wife
· temperate, self-controlled, respectable
· able to teach
· not given to drunkenness
· not violent but gentle,
· not quarrelsome
· not a lover of money
· he must manage his own family well
· he must not be a recent convert
· he must have a good reputation with non-Christians
More in Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
May 5, 2019Parenting: Desires in Conflict
April 28, 2019Parental Discipline: Training Our Children For Their Good
June 4, 2017Parenting: Desires in Conflict