Sunday School: Mark II: Biblical Theology
Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
Mark 1: Expositional Preaching
Mark 2: Biblical Theology
Mark 3: The Gospel
Mark 4: A Biblical Understanding of Conversion
Mark 5: A Biblical Understanding of Evangelism
Mark 6: A Biblical Understanding of Church Membership
Mark 7: Biblical Church Discipline
Mark 8: A Concern for Discipleship and Growth
Mark 9: Biblical Church Leadership
Q: What is biblical theology? A: The salvation-historical study of biblical texts (i.e. the understanding and exposition of the texts along their chronological line of development).
What are the ways in which a good grasp of biblical theology is likely to enrich a pastor’s preaching?
1. Biblical theology directly addresses the massive biblical illiteracy in our culture and churches.
2. Biblical Theology considers the major turning points in the Bible, not just the raw chronological story.
3. Biblical theology encourages various kinds of inner-text tendon development.
What is biblical theology for the church member?
· To practice biblical theology is to know God himself.
· To practice biblical theology is to know God's macro story of redemption.
How does biblical theology work to promote health in a church member?
1. Practicing biblical theology helps us grow in our reverence for God.
2. Practicing biblical theology helps us to overcome our wrong ideas/inoculates against doctrinal controversies.
3. It deepens our understanding of and facility with the gospel.
How to become a healthy church member by becoming a biblical theologian.
1. Read a good book on biblical theology.
2. Study the scriptures thematically.
3. Adopt the NT’s attitude toward the OT.
4. Study the OT with Jesus and the NT in view.
More in Sunday School: What is a Healthy Church?
March 4, 2018Sunday School: Elder-Led Congregationalism (Pt. 7)
February 18, 2018Sunday School: Elder-Led Congregationalism (Pt .6)
February 11, 2018Sunday School: Elder-Led Congregationalism (Pt. 5)