God Disciplines His Children
May 7, 2017 Speaker: Series: Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
Passage: Hebrews 12:3–13
Seven propositions about discipline from Hebrews 12:4-11
• God disciplines his children (5-7,10)
• God disciplines all his children (6,8)
• God disciplines only his children (6-8)
• Discipline is training: God disciplines his children for their good (10-11)
• Discipline seems unpleasant and painful (11)
• God’s children should endure God’s discipline (5,7,9)
• God’s disciplining his children compares to human parents’ disciplining their children (5,7-10)
Point # 1 Christian, don’t think something strange is happening when you face suffering in this life. God disciplines his children (3-6).
• In the midst of life’s hardships, consider Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners (3).
• In your struggle against sin you have not yet shed your blood (4).
• Remember the scriptures: the Lord disciplines and chastens everyone he accepts as a child.
Point # 2 Christian, we glory in our sufferings because we know what it produces in us (7-11).
• The necessity of parental discipline (7-8)
• The right response to it (9)
• The benefits of nurture through divine discipline (10-11).
Point # 3 A call to Christian action in the face of suffering - individually, and as a church (12-13).
More in Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
May 5, 2019Parenting: Desires in Conflict
April 28, 2019Parental Discipline: Training Our Children For Their Good
June 4, 2017Parenting: Desires in Conflict