Passage: Luke 1:26–1:56
- The birth of Jesus foretold (26-38)
- Mary Visits Elizabeth (39–45)
- Mary’s Song (46-56)
“Sonship” in the Bible
- Israel as an entire nation is called God’s Son (“Out of Egypt I have called my Son” Hos. 11:1).
- Angels are referred to as the Sons of God (Gen 6:2, Job 1:6 and 2:1).
- The Davidic King who prefigures the office of the messiah is called God’s Son (Ps. 2:12”Kiss the Son, or he will be angry.”)
- Citizens of God’s kingdom - people whose conduct reflects the conduct of God himself - are literally called “Sons of God” (Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God)
- Jesus is called God’s unique Son (John 3:16 “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son).
“Son of God” or “God’s Son” in reference to Jesus specifically.
- Jesus is the perfect Israel and the perfect David, and the two notions are held together by the one rubric, Son of God.
- Jesus is the pre-existent Son, God’s agent in creation, the second person of the Trinity.
- There is also a “catch-all” use.