The Mission Plan of the Risen Lord
Passage: Acts 1:1–1:11
The Main Idea: The resurrected Jesus teaches and commissions his apostles before ascending to heaven. Most importantly, he prepares them for the promised baptism with the Holy Spirit. This is how the risen Christ will continue to act and to teach, and his Kingdom advance to the ends of the earth: through the witness of his apostles, empowered through the promised Holy Spirit.
- The resurrected Messiah teaches his apostles about the Kingdom of God (1-3; 6-7)
- The resurrected Messiah promises to send his apostles the Holy Spirit and commissions them to be his witnesses to the ends of the earth (4-8)
- The church is called to engage in mission to the world, knowing that Jesus reigns in heaven and his return is assured (9-11).
The New Testament concept of “The Kingdom of God”
- “Universal” and “Saving” (in relation to people)
- “Already Here” and “Not Yet Come” (in relation to time)