Sunday School: Evangelism (Pt. 1: Definitions)
A DEFINITION FOR EVANGELISM
Evangelism is teaching the gospel with the aim to persuade.
WHAT THE TRULY CONVERTED LOOK LIKE
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE GET EVANGELISM WRONG?
Evangelism is teaching the gospel (what God has accomplished in Jesus’ death and resurrection for sin) with the aim to persuade. If a church does not understand biblical evangelism, over time that church will be subverted. If we don’t practice healthy evangelism, the dominoes start to fall:
• The focus of preaching and teaching turns to living a moral life, not a gospel-centered life.
• Non-Christians are lulled into thinking that they are okay in their lost state.
• Christians think that non-Christians are believers because they made a superficial outward commitment.
• The church baptizes those who are not believers.
• The church allows non-Christians into membership.
• Eventually, non-Christians become leaders in the church.
• A church becomes a subculture of nominalism.
• Evangelism: Teaching or preaching the gospel with the aim, or intent, to persuade or convert
• The Gospel: What God has accomplished in the death and resurrection of his Son for sin, and in consequence, will accomplish in the New Heavens and New Earth.
• The message from God: The explanation of who God is, the human predicament of sin and lostness, the work of Christ for our salvation, and the response people must make to gain a restored relationship with God; encapsulated in the four parts of the gospel outline: God, Man, Christ, and Response
• Sin: A state of rebellion against God characterized by self-centeredness, unbelief
• Sins: The symptoms and expressions of (the state of) rebellion and unbelief
• Repentance: Turning from a life of unbelief
• Conversion: Moving from death to life, guilt to pardon
• Belief: Complete trust in and reliance upon God and his saving grace through Christ
More in Sunday School: Evangelism
February 10, 2019Sunday School: Evangelism (Pt.6: Actually Sharing Our Faith)
February 3, 2019Sunday School: Evangelism (Pt.5: Intentional Evangelists in a Culture of Evangelism)
January 27, 2019Sunday School: Evangelism (Pt.4: Connecting Church with a Culture of Evangelism II)