What Does a Healthy Church Look Like?
Passage: Acts 2:42–2:47
Devotion:to attend to constantly; to focus on continually; to hold fast to despite difficulty.
Question:What evidence does the church in Jerusalem give of the presence and power of the Holy Spirit at work within them? Is New City Baptist demonstrating that same evidence?
The church in Jerusalem is in a submissive relationship to the apostles (they are devoted to their teachings)
- The church in Jerusalem is devotedto fellowship: that is,“a committed partnership” in which personal interests are subsumed under the common mission of the church, for God’s glory.
- The church in Jerusalem is devotedto relating to each other in love (hospitality, sharing all things, alleviating material needs)
- The church in Jerusalem is devotedto praying together
- The church in Jerusalem is related to the world in evangelistic outreach
1: The believers are devoted to . . .
- The Apostle’s teaching (2:42)
- Fellowship - that is, “committed partnership”, in which personal interests are subsumed under the common mission(2:42; 4:32)
- The breaking of bread together (2:42)
- Prayer (2:42)
2: The Apostles perform "signs and wonders" attesting to their authority and the truth of their message (43)
3: The believers have all things in common so that no one is in need (2:44-45; 4:32-37)
4: They are evangelistic
More in The Purpose of the Church
February 24, 2019Evangelism (Part 3): Lessons From Jesus the Evangelist
February 17, 2019Evangelism (Part 2): Worldviews in Collision
February 10, 2019Evangelism (Part 1): The Great Commission