Praying to a Sovereign God
Passage: Ephesians 1:17–1:23
“The pulse of one’s faith can be measured by ones prayer life.” (Jonathan Edwards)
- Because God is sovereign, Paul offers thanksgiving for God’s intervening, sovereign grace in the lives of Christians (15-16)
- Because God is sovereign, Paul offers intercession that God’s sovereign, holy purposes in the salvation of his people may be accomplished (17-19a)
More precisely, Paul prays that
- Christians may know God better.
- Christians may have the God-given insight to grasp the hope of our calling.
- Christians may have the God-given insight to grasp the riches of God’s glorious inheritance in the saints.
- Christians may have the God-given insight to grasp God’s incomparably great power for those of us who believe.
- Because God is sovereign, Paul offers a review of God’s most dramatic displays of power (1:19:b-23)
- The power exerted when Christ was raised from the dead.
- The power displayed in the exalted Christ.
- The power exercised by Christ over everything, for the church.
More in Ephesians
July 21, 2019The New Humanity
July 14, 2019Children of Wrath to New Creation: Resurrected and Exalted with Christ
June 30, 2019Praise God For Every Blessing in Christ