Praying For Power
Passage: Ephesians 3:14–3:21
When praying for power, the Christian’s two central petitions are:
That God might strengthen us with power though his Spirit in our inner being (3:16-17a)
- Question 1: For what purpose? So that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith.
- Question 2: With what measure of resources is the prayer to be answered? All of God’s glorious riches in Christ.
That we might have power to grasp the limitless dimensions of the love of Christ (3:17b-19)
- When praying for power, the Christian grounds their prayer in the Fatherhood of God (3:14-15)
- Closing Praise (3:20-21)
- The God whom we petition is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.
- The ultimate purpose of Paul’s prayer is that there be glory to God, in the church, and in Christ Jesus.
This sermon owes a plagiarizing debt Don Carson’s excellent book, “Praying With Paul: A Call To Spiritual Reformation.” I recommend it highly!