Sunday School: Christian Ethics (Intro: Pt.1)
September 15, 2019 Speaker: Series: Sunday School: Christian Ethics
Christian ethics is any study that answers the question, “What does the whole
Bible teach us about which acts, attitudes, and personal character traits receive
God’s approval, and which do not?”
1. The benefits of studying Christian ethics
Gaining a more accurate understanding of ethics
1. Changing from instinctive to informed ethical convictions
2. Changing from imprecise to accurate ethical convictions
3. Changing from unbiblical to biblical ethical convictions:
a. Using our time wisely
b. Preparing to face real-life temptations
c. Gaining a better ability to make wise ethical decisions about new matters later
d. Growing toward Christian maturity and personal holiness
2. Major and Minor Ethical Issues: a major ethical issue is one that has a wide
and long-lasting effect on our lives and the lives of others. A minor ethical issue
is one that has little effect on our lives and the lives of others.
3. Our Source of Ethical Standards: The Bible
• The authority of Scripture means that the entire Bible is God’s Word to us, and
therefore to disbelieve or disobey any part of Scripture is to disbelieve or
disobey God. Because it is the Word of God, the Bible is a higher authority in
ethics than tradition, reason, experience, expected results, or subjective
perceptions of guidance.
• The clarity of Scripture means that God gave us a Bible that is able to be
understood, but not all at once, not without effort, not without using ordinary
means, not without a willingness to obey it, not without the help of the Holy
Spirit, not without some misunderstanding, and never completely.
• The sufficiency of Scripture means that Scripture contains all the words of God
we need for salvation, for trusting him perfectly, and for obeying him perfectly.
This principle gives us substantial freedom regarding numerous ethical decisions,
for it means that nothing is sin that is not forbidden by Scripture, either explicitly
or by implication.
More in Sunday School: Christian Ethics
February 5, 2023Sunday School: Christian Ethics (Pt 16.8: Divorce and Remarriage, Pt 3)
January 29, 2023Sunday School: Christian Ethics (Pt 16.8: Divorce and Remarriage, Pt 2)
January 22, 2023Sunday School: Christian Ethics (Pt 16.8: Divorce and Remarriage, Pt.1)