Stand Firm, Christian!
November 10, 2019 Speaker: Series: Ephesians
Passage: Ephesians 6:10–6:20
Big Picture: Christians should be strong in the mighty strength of God by putting on the armor that God provides, and being devoted to constant prayer. Only in this way will we be able to “stand” against the onslaught of the devil.
- Know your enemy, Christian! (10-13)
- Know your battle equipment, Christian! (14–17)
- Truth (as a belt)
- Righteousness (as a breastplate)
- Preparation to proclaim the gospel (as shoes)
- Faith (as a shield)
- Salvation (as a helmet)
- The word of God (as a sword made effective by the Spirit)
- Know your limitations, Christian! (18-20)
- Defend your position in Christ against the onslaught of evil by prayer that is constant, Spirit-empowered, alert to surrounding evil, zealous in its devotion, and wide in its breadth.
- “Prayer is the essence of spiritual warfare and the most important means by which believers are strengthened by God.” (O’Brian)
*I received much help from Clinton E. Arnold, D. A. Carson, Kevin De Young, P.T. O’Brian and John Stott in preparing this sermon.