The End of All Things is Near: Live Accordingly
Passage: 1 Peter 4:5–4:11
Big Picture: What we believe about the future – our eschatological perspective - shapes how we live today. Peter gives four practical ways Christians are to live out Jesus’ victory in the church. We are . .
- to think rightly and be clear-minded so we can pray.
- to persist in a love for one another that “covers” sin.
- to be graciously hospitable to fellow believers without complaining.
- to serve one another with the gifts of grace we have received.
We do all this in the assurance of our final vindication at the judgment seat of Christ. However, unbelievers must take warning: they will have to give account to Jesus, who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
Point 1: The universal scope of God’s judgment (5-6)
Point 2: Living out Jesus’ victory in the church (7-11)
The New Testament epistles list specific spiritual gifts in six different passages
- 1 Corinthians 12:28: Apostle, prophet, teacher, miracles, kinds of healings, helps, administration, tongues
- 1 Corinthians 12:8–10: Word of wisdom, word of knowledge, faith, gifts of healing, miracles, prophecy, distinguishing between spirits, tongues, interpretation of tongues
- Ephesians 4:11: Apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor-teacher
- Romans 12:6–8: Prophecy, serving, teaching, encouraging, contributing, leadership, mercy
- 1 Corinthians 7:7: Marriage, celibacy
- 1 Peter 4:11: Whoever speaks (covering several gifts); whoever renders service (covering several gifts)
More in 1 Peter
March 1, 2020On Our Way to Glory in the Suffering Church of God
February 16, 2020Christian Suffering
February 9, 2020Suffering Unjustly? Entrust Yourself to God