The Parable of the Bags of Gold
March 15, 2020 Speaker: Series: General
Passage: Matthew 25:14–30
Main Point of the Parable: Christians are to wait for the Lord Jesus’ return as slaves commissioned to improve their master’s assets. (A slave is someone whose person and service belongs wholly to another.)
Helpful Insight: “The purpose of eschatological teaching is not to fuel speculation about the dates and time of the final consummation. The biblical focus is always on readiness – waiting for the second coming of Jesus with expectancy and faithful vigilance.” (Gene Greene)
Point # 1 Like the master, God commissions his people to improve his assets.
Point # 2 Like the two good slaves, God’s people will be commended and rewarded when they have faithfully discharged that commission: they will be given more responsibility (work) in the new heavens and new earth, and will share in their master’s joy.
Point # 3 Like the wicked slave, those who fail to improve their master’s assets will be punished by separation from God and all things good: they will be cast into hell.*
Blomberg “Interpreting the Parables” (1990)
5 points for further consideration and application*
- Our waiting for Jesus return is never merely passive.
- Our task as Christians as we wait for the master’s return is to improve his assets – not our own. And copping out is not an option.
- Presupposed is that Jesus’ slaves joyously recognize their responsibly – they have pride, and loving loyalty to the master. They take slavery seriously, out of profound love for the master.
- It’s for our good that we adore our master and do what ever he wants.
- The slave who fails to improve his master’s assets does not get into heaven anyways, with certain responsibilities revoked, while enjoying a smaller portion of his master’s joy: he is cast into hell.
* These 5 points are an adaptation of an outline by D.A. Carson.
More in General
January 22, 2023Sarah's Daughters
January 15, 2023Gospel-Centred Marriage
January 1, 2023Bringing Our Relationships Under the Lordship of Jesus Christ