The Church: The Gospel Made Visible
Passage: 1 Timothy 3:14–3:16
Definition of “Church”: The church is the body of people called by God's grace through faith in Christ to glorify him together by serving him in the world. In obedience to scripture, they organize under qualified leadership, gather regularly in one place for preaching and prayer, observe the biblical ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s Supper, are unified by the Spirit, are disciplined for holiness, and fulfill the Great Commission as missionaries to the world for God’s glory and their joy.
- There is such a thing as proper, necessary Christian conduct in the church (14-15a).
- The instructions in the preceding chapters (1:1-3:13) must be followed because (15b)
- the church is the household of God
- the church is the church of the living God
- the church is a pillar and protector of the truth of the gospel
In short, the integrity of the gospel must be maintained in the conduct of the Christians who believe it.
- The work of Jesus, and the obligation of his church to proclaim that work to the world (16)
- The gospel will sustain you throughout the lockdown.
- Throughout the lockdown, live a life of holy conduct. The integrity of the gospel must be maintained in the conduct of the Christians who believe it.
- Continue to evangelize throughout the lockdown.
- Throughout the lockdown, New City Baptist is still a church, even if we can’t meet together.
*Thanks to Jonathan Leeman for the sports team analogy