Christmas Encouragement / Christmas Warning
December 13, 2020 Speaker: Series: Word in Pandemic
Passage: Luke 2:21–38
Big Picture: We cannot understand the eternal importance of Jesus’ birth unless we first understand who Jesus is, and what his coming into the world effects and accomplishes in God’s sovereignly controlled, historical plan of salvation.
The positive: be encouraged, sinner!
- Jesus is the Lord’s Messiah (27).
- Jesus is God’s salvation, which God prepared in the sight of all nations (verses 30-31).
- Jesus is the light of divine revelation to the Gentiles (32).
- Jesus is the glory of God’s Old Covenant people, Israel (32).
The negative: be warned, sinner!
- Jesus is destined (by God’s eternal, sovereign purposes) to cause the falling and rising of many - in Israel, and in all world (34).
- Jesus is a sign that will be spoken against - in Israel, and in all the world (34).
- Jesus will reveal the thoughts of many hearts - in Israel, and in all the world (35).