Christian, Become What You Are
Passage: 1 Corinthians 1:1–1:9
- Paul’s salutation (1-3)
- What is an apostle? A person who has seen the risen Lord and has been appointed by the resurrected Jesus to preach the gospel.
- What is a church? A group of Christians who together identify themselves and each other as followers of Jesus, and as the church through regularly gathering (in one place at one time) in his name, preaching the gospel, and celebrating the ordinances.
- What are the tenses of sanctification? Past (definitional, positional – “I was sanctified”); present (progressive holiness – “I am being sanctified”); and future (glorification – “I will be sanctified”).
- Paul’s thanksgiving (4-9)
- For the grace of God the Corinthians have already received in Christ. (4-6)
- For the gifts of grace which sustain them until their anticipated approval by God on the Day of the Lord Jesus. (7-9)
- Main Points:
- Christians are holy.
- Christians are responsible to be holy.