Faithful Preparation for a Long Delay
Passage: Matthew 25:1–25:13
The main message of the parable: Like the wise virgins with the extra oil, Christians must be prepared for a long and unexpected delay before the return of Jesus.
- The difference between the five wise and the five unwise virgins lies only in their preparation for a lengthy wait. (1-4)
- Jesus, the bridegroom, will be delayed a long time in coming. (5-6)
- Preparedness is not transferrable. (7-9)
- There is no time to prepare after the bridegroom arrives, and no mercy for the unprepared. (10-12)
- Therefore, be prepared! (13)
1) Praise God for the mercy in the delay.
2) To the individual Christian: “Getting prepared” for Jesus isn’t a one-off task, it’s lifelong.
3) To the church: We need to think more about long-term gospel priorities.
*This sermon owes a great debt to D.A. Carson’s commentary on Matthew.
More in General
August 29, 2021On Sheep & Goats, Heaven & Hell, and Being a Faithful Church Member
June 27, 2021By the Sea of Galilee
April 18, 2021Jesus Washes His Disciples' Feet