Flee Sexual Immorality, Glorify God With Your Body (Pt.2)
October 24, 2021 Speaker: Series: 1 Corinthians
Passage: 1 Corinthians 6:15–20
Problem #4: (1 Corinthians 6:12–20) Some Corinthian Christians are excusing sexual immorality because it occurs outside the body.
Gospel Solution: Your body matters because God will raise it up like he raised the Lord. Your body is a “member” of Christ, so you should not make it a member of a prostitute. You do not have the right to do whatever you want with your body, because God owns it, and he owns it because he redeemed you at the cost of his Son’s life. So, glorify God with your body by not committing sexual immorality.
1) Brothers and sisters, flee from sexual immorality and glorify God with your bodies.
- Our bodies are members of Christ himself. Sexual intercourse with a prostitute, therefore, unites the members of Christ with that prostitute. To engage in immoral relations is to deny one’s union with Christ (15).
- He who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body. “The two will become one flesh.” There is no such thing as “casual sex.” (16)
- Whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. To engage in immoral relations is to deny one’s union with Christ (17).
- All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually sins against their own body. Immoral sex is something to flee. We must not even flirt with it—we must run from it (18).
- Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God. You are not your own. It would be unthinkable to pursue immoral sex in the Most Holy Place. But now, Paul argues, your physical body is the Most Holy Place. So believers must not defile it. They must keep it pure, for it is sacred space (19).
- You were bought at a price. We do not have the right to do whatever we want with our bodies. God has redeemed us at the cost of his Son’s death, so God owns our bodies (20).
More in 1 Corinthians
March 20, 2022Do Everything in Love
March 13, 2022Flesh and Blood Cannot Inherit the Kingdom of God
March 6, 2022God Will Be Utterly Supreme Over Everything, Everywhere