Sex and Marriage
Passage: 1 Corinthians 7:1–7:6
Big Picture: Having sex regularly with our Christian spouse, and thus relieving the pressure of sexual temptation, is part of the way Christians flee sexual immorality and glorify God with their bodies.
- Because of sexual temptation married couples must be having regular sexual relations with their spouse. (1-2; 5)
- Within marriage, sexual privileges and responsibilities are reciprocal. (3-4)
- Sexual relations are a “due” within marriage because the body is not one’s own free possession but belongs to one’s spouse.
- Within marriage, neither partner is to deprive (“defraud”) the other of regular sexual relations except under three conditions (5-6):
- by mutual consent
- for the purpose of devoting themselves to prayer
- only temporarily
More in 1 Corinthians
December 5, 2021Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols
November 21, 2021Guarding Gospel Treasure: The High Walls of Divorce
November 14, 2021Bloom Where You Are Planted