Obedience to the Word: The Evidence of Spiritual Wholeness
Passage: James 1:19–27
- Christian, examine your obedience, and thus your spiritual wholeness: hasty speech and anger do not please God (19-20)
- Obedient Christians should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger (19)
- Our anger does not produce “God’s righteousness” (20)
- Obedience to the word is THE mark of genuine Christianity (21-25)
- get rid of the sinful filth in your life and accept the word planted in you (21)
- do not deceive yourself: do not merely listen to the word, obey it (22-24)
- carefully study God’s word, obey it, and be blessed (25)
- Three ways Christians obey the word (26-27).
(These manifestations of obedience to the word introduce or touch on key ideas James will return to later in the letter)
- Controlling the tongue (1:19-20; 3:1-12; 4:11-12).
- Concern for the helpless (2:1-13; 15-16; cf. 5:1-6).
- Avoidance of worldliness (4:4-10).
More in James: A Faith That Works
April 23, 2023A Closing Summons to Christian Action
April 16, 2023A Latter-Day Perspective on Wealth and Christian Endurance
April 2, 2023Arrogant Boasting in the Church