False Teachers and Their Destruction, Pt.1
Passage: 2 Peter 2:1–10
- Introduction to the false teachers (1-3)
- They will introduce (from the outside) destructive teachings to the church.
- They will deny the sovereign Lord who bought them.
- Their destruction will come quickly.
- Many will follow their depraved conduct.
- They will bring dishonor to the way of truth.
- They will exploit the church out of greed.
“Seven Types of False Teachers in the Church Today” (Conrad Mbewe)
- The Heretic
- The Charlatan
- The Prophet
- The Abuser
- The Divider
- The Tickler
- The Speculator
- God’s judgment (4–8)
- Example 1: God judged sinful angels.
- Example 2: God judged the ancient world with a flood and rescued Noah and his family.
- Example 3: God judged Sodom and Gomorrah with fire and rescued Lot.
- Application: God will rescue the godly and judge the ungodly (9–10)
*Sermon note: I received invaluable assistance from Doug Moo’s “NIV Application Commentary: 2 Peter and Jude”