The Authority of the Anointed One
Passage: Mark 1:14–39
The authority of the “Anointed One” (Christ/Messiah) is demonstrated by . . .
- Jesus bringing the kingdom near in his “good news” ministry (14-15)
- Jesus calling his disciples to himself – a call rooted in his messianic authority (16-20)
- Jesus seeks his own disciples.
- Jesus is the subject of the call to discipleship – “Come, follow me.”
- Discipleship is a call to service – “I will send you out to fish for people.”
- There is no special preparation for discipleship.
- Discipleship is costly.
- Jesus’ teaching, healing, and exorcisms (21-39)